Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sunset Grill

1264 Duck Road
Duck NC

This place is an interesting spot for me. In our early years of coming to the Outer Banks, this was our meeting spot for the family on check in day. We would connect here for lunch and a few drinks and await the word that we could check into our home. As far as lunch goes, it was not bad. I personally had the fried oyster sandwich and fries or a sandwich, and truthfully nothing ever stood out about the lunch food one way or the other. We also had a few dinners here, and I can say the same thing. Nothing was exceptionally good or exceptionally bad any time we came here. When I see reviews of this place on other sites, they are generally very bad, attacking the quality of the food and service in particular. From my perch, I have to say that you have to come here with the right frame of mind. I have been here several times and have never had a meal that I would consider to be bad, nor have I had an experience that stood out as extremely bad examples of service at the bar or in the dining area. That said, I have also never eaten anything here that I was overly impressed with, nor have I ever had a server that stood out to me as better than average. BUT, if you come here in the evening to eat, you also have an outdoor party atmosphere right on the water that is tough to duplicate. Their advertisements touting it as Key West but closer are not far off if you have ever been here to enjoy a sunset. So my take is that you need to be realistic. The place DOES NOT have standout food or service, but it is also NOT AS BAD as many of the reviews I have seen either. Go to this spot expecting average food, average service and GREAT atmosphere and you will not be disappointed. There are far WORSE places to be on a warm summer evening than outside at the Sunset Grill enjoying a cocktail, eating an oyster sandwich, and soaking in a beautiful sunset before some night time entertainment. You can now also have breakfast here starting at 8 am, and after having it twice this past year, I can say the same thing. The food was fine, the service was okay, but I enjoyed the hell out of starting my day with an omelette, looking out at the sound. Take it for what it is, ejoy the great outdoor beach atmosphere, and you will find it a worthwhile stop all in all. I give it 3 of 5 stars based on the location, location, location.

No comments:

Post a Comment