Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blue Moon Beach Grille

MP 13 Surfside Plaza
Beach Road
Nags Head NC

Blue Moon Grille is the newest addition to our "Must Visit" restaurants, and was good enough to go to for dinner two nights in a row, and another night in about a week. This place was recommended by local bartenders and wait staff, and man were they spot on. My first impression of a little restaurant in a strip mall at the beach was a little underwhelming, as again, I am always seeking that old style OBX beach bar ambience. It is a very nice and new interior, with great nautical decor, but I was a bit thrown by the strip mall location. That concern QUICKLY changed once we got seated and had the chance to experience the great food and service at this little gem. Michelle, our server made us feel at home from the beginning. We started with appetizers including Jamaican Jerk chicken wings that were different than any wings I had ever eaten. They had a slow burn that was unique and tasty. We also had their basket of fries, advertised as boardwalk fries. These fries would give Thrashers in Ocean City a run for its money, no doubt. Finally, I got to taste Fried Green Tomatoes, and they were EXCELLENT. As good as the appetizers were, the main dishes were out of this world. The first night I had Angel's Delight, which is a dish that combines fresh local shrimp and blue crab in a lite white wine sauce, fresh tomatos, scallions, roasted red peppers, garlic and basil over angel hair. It was even better than it sounds. We also tried the Veggie Voodoo Pasta which is fresh vegetables sauteed in a spicy marinara sauce with Cavatappi pasta and shaved parmesan. My wife had the Bouillebasse which was fresh local fish and shellfish simmered in a lightly spiced, saffron scented white wine tomato broth and topped with 3 huge garlic toast points. The best Bouillebasse I have ever eaten. For me though, the second night was highlighted by the Truckstop, which is a tender pork loin pan fried and placed over a generous portion of skillet potatos in a homemade pan gravy. Then, I got it topped with a fried egg. I get a little weepy when I think of it. A totally unreal dish, that never made me regret missing a night of seafood, which is NO SMALL accomplishment. Finally, if that were not enough, their homemade deserts are killer highlighted by the absolute best bread pudding and carrot cake I have ever eaten in my life. I cannot say enough about how much my family enjoyed this stop, and I will find a way to get back there this fall even though I live in Pittsburgh! An absolute 5 out of 5 stars and a can't miss stop in the Outer Banks! Click on the header to visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment