Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Awful Arthurs Oyster Bar

Milepost 6 Beach Road
Kill Devil Hills NC

Awful Arthur's was our first stop in the Outer Banks in November of 2000. I fell in love instantly with the atmosphere inside this place. Straight up beach bar with simple but fresh food and a premium raw bar. If you don't like raw bar, the tuna, mahi mahi or wahoo sandwiches are the best fish sandwiches I have ever eaten. Fresh, and lightly marinated, could not be any simpler, but could not be any better. Folks, all I can say about Awful Arthur's is that the current manager, Lisa, was our server for many years and she has watched my children grow up over a decade of eating there. It was amazing to me that not only has she given us great service over the years, but she actually would remember the drink and food preferences of our entire party EACH year without prompting. She has given us advice about food, real estate, fireworks spots, and even where to have my car serviced. Awful Arthur's and Lisa became such a part of our OBX vacation, that we began renting the house across the street and next to the Avalon Pier(Tanarama II) for one of our weeks simply because of its proximity to Awful Arthurs! Whether it was just the four of us, or our extended family of 14 we would go to AA and order dozens of Crab Legs, Oysters, Clams, Shrimp, and Clam Strips to share amongst us and chase with Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen,(ShockTop now), Malibu and Coke, or the house drink, the Awesome Arthur, a great mix of seven liquors. We would follow that up with one of the fresh fish sandwiches, for me tuna or wahoo, but many prefer the mahi mahi. I would get the Oyster PoBoy when I was not in the mood for tuna. It simply gets no better than this for me. A large table of family members hammering fresh shell fish, drinking and laughing.


Awful Arthurs to me IS summer for us at the beach, and the memories we have created there over the years are priceless. The beauty of Awful Arthur's is the simplicity and freshness of the seafood, combined with a real beach ambience and local flair. I can think of few things that make me happier than sitting at the bar here, drinking a beer, eating oysters and shrimp while watching the steam pour out of steamers. Great place to just hang out. For the landlubbers, their hamburgers, deep fried hot dogs, and turkey sandwiches are all very good as well. For me though, it is RAW BAR, BEER and BEACH. Five out of Five stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment